In conversation with Mariyam D Rizwan
We had a quick chat with fashion designer Mariyam D Rizwan about her professional life and namesake label.
1. How would you define your idea of fashion?
I believe fashion is a form of self-expression and a means through which individuals can communicate their identities, values, and aspirations. It allows individuals to express their creativity, individuality, and uniqueness.
2. List some of your design influences, both past and present.
Exploring the works of renowned artists, both past and present, has always helped sparked new ideas, specially by travelling and experiencing different cultures, traditions and lifestyles has always influenced my design aesthetic.
3. Where do you look for your creative inspiration?
Museums & art exhibitions, they expose you to different artistic movements, colors, patterns, and textures that have always inspired my fashion choices.
4. What are some Mariyam D. Rizwan pieces every woman should own?
Our statement kaftans
5. How do you walk the line between being unique and having commercial appeal?
By creating unique fusion pieces which aren’t available commercially everywhere.
6. Do you see any surprising endeavors for the future of Mariyam D. Rizwan label?
We aim to focus in expanding our business into the international market in the coming future.
1. A style icon you adore?
Anna Wintour & Victoria Beckham
2. A fashion trend that you think should stay around?
Denim on Denim. I’m obsessed.
3. Your biggest achievement to date?
Being a part of the H&M womenswear summer collection 2014
4. A wardrobe staple everyone should have?
A crisp white shirt
5. If you had to style Benazir Bhutto and Princess Diana with one statement piece each, what would they be?
I would style both of them in a classic Sherwani