Follow this 4-7-8 technique to fall asleep within 10 seconds
Have you ever been jealous of people who fall asleep within 10 seconds? They might be using this technique for decades and you’re unaware of it. But nothing to worry about as we are here to explain in detail.
The 4-7-8 technique is a relaxation exercise that involves breathing in for four counts, holding that breath for seven counts and exhaling for eight counts. Exercises like the 4-7-8 technique allow you to practice being at peace. And that’s exactly what we need to do before we go to bed. It does not ‘put you to sleep’, but rather it may reduce anxiety to increase the likelihood of falling asleep.
The 4-7-8 method doesn’t require any equipment or specific setting, but when you’re initially learning the exercise, you should sit with your back straight. Practising in a calm, quiet place could help. Once you get the hang of it, you can use the technique while lying in bed.
During the entire practice, place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue behind your upper front teeth, as you’ll be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue. Then follow these steps:
· Completely exhale through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
· Close your mouth and quietly inhale through your nose to a mental count of four.
· Hold your breath for a count of seven.
· Exhale through your mouth, making a whoosh sound for a count of eight.
· Repeat the process three more times for a total of four breath cycles.
Keeping to the ratio of four, then seven and then eight counts are more important than the time you spend on each phase.